ad • vent / ˈadˌvent
the arrival of a notable person, thing, or event.
Thank you for your interest in Advent Church. As you take some time to hear more about our mission, vision, and values, please let us know if we can answer any questions you might have, or serve you in any way.
Our Mission Field
We are planting in Chicago’s South Loop
- 43,000 people who live in South Loop.
- 150% population growth since 2000.
- 65% of households are people living alone.
- 5700 children 16 and younger.
- 68% projected growth in 16 & younger.
- 73% of adults have at least an associates degree
- Ethnic Diversity
- 57% Anglo
- 21% Asian
- 13% African-American
- 44% indicate no faith involvement
Watch Dennis Conner talk about the mission of Advent Church
- Has made Chicago home since 2014
- Planted Crosspointe, the Church at Tartesso in Buckeye, AZ
- Pastored three long-established churches in NC prior to moving to AZ in 2006
- Worked in trucking management prior to beginning vocational ministry in 1995
- Married to Cindy Conner since August 1990
- 23 years ministry experience
- Served with the North American Mission Board as a church planting catalyst in Phoenix & Chicago 2010 - 2017
- We believe God has made it possible for us to have a real, never-ending relationship with Him.
- We believe trusting in Jesus is the only way for humans to have that genuine relationship with God.
- We believe trusting in Jesus results in a change in our lives that brings a different quality of life here and now.
- We believe our changed lives result in real benefit to others around us.
- We believe our life span offers us the opportunity to grow continually to be more like Jesus.
- We believe living in spiritual community with other believers is the biblical and best way to grow in Christ-likeness.
- We believe God has given us both the opportunity and responsibility to tell others how they can have real life.
- We believe the Bible is the foundation for authentic living.
Our Core Values
The values that communicate who were are, express our convictions, and guide our decision making.
Jesus said that the world would know we were His followers because of our love for one another. He also commanded us to love God and love other people. Like Jesus, we will express our love through self-sacrifice. Our love leads us to be humble in dealing with others and draws us together in unity.
John 13:34-35; Matthew 22:37-39; 1 John 3:16; Philippians 2:1-8
The Bible teaches us that no one is perfect. We believe that being open and honest about ourselves provides the greatest opportunity for each of us to grow to be more like Jesus.
Romans 3:23; Psalm 32:1-5; James 5:16
We believe that following Jesus is a life-long adventure. We believe that the Christian journey is intended to be a growing experience. We will seek ways to help one another grow in Christ-likeness, and we will expect that maturity of one another.
Philippians 1:6; Colossians 1:28-29; Hebrews 10:23-25
Jesus set the example of service. His death on the cross was the ultimate act of service. Therefore, we believe faithful followers of Jesus have a God-given impulse to serve others.
Mark 10:42-45; Galatians 5:13; Matthew 25:31-40
The biblical expressions of life that will indicate that we are living out our Core Values.
We will express our love for God in community by gathering weekly to worship Him through song, through prayer, through giving, through encouragement of and accountability to one another and through hearing and responding to His word. We will express our love for God individually through personal worship, Bible reading, regular prayer.
Love Each Other
We will make sacrifices to care for each other, rejoice, and weep with each other. We will consider each other more important than ourselves and find ways to demonstrate that reality.
Love the World
We will make sacrifices to care for and serve those in our community, our families, our workplaces, schools, our neighborhood, and in other streams of our lives as we express our love for them and for Jesus.
Lead Others to Do So
As we grow to be more like Jesus, we want to lead others we know and meet to be like Him, too.